Streaming continues to reign as the primary force behind the success of the music industry, with artists hailing from different parts of the globe achieving remarkable feats and reaching the pinnacle of popularity in no time. Interestingly, the latest statistics reveal that on-demand audio streaming has been growing at an unprecedented rate, with a recent study conducted by Luminate indicating that global music streams have already surpassed one trillion in the year 2023.
On March 31, a new record was set for reaching a particular target number in a single year. The top song on the global list is Miley Cyrus’ “Flowers” with 1.16 billion global audio streams. This single was part of her album “Endless Summer Vacation” and debuted at No. 1 on the H๏t 100 chart dated Jan. 28. SZA’s “Kill Bill” follows behind with 885 million global audio streams, and it was the highest-charting hit from her first No. 1 album “SOS.” The Weeknd’s “Die For You” with his “Love Me Harder” duet partner Ariana Grande recently received a new remix and is the third most-streamed song globally with 629 million.
In the meantime, two partnerships are among the top five most-streamed audio content: Bizzarap and Shakira’s “BZRP Music Sessions #53” with 627 million streams, and Rema and Selena Gomez’s “Calm Down” with 601 million streams in 2023 thus far. The data aligns with the annual streaming trend that shows a consistent increase in revenue, making streaming a significant source of income for the music industry. According to the Recording Industry Association of America’s (RIAA) mid-year report, streaming contributed to 84% of the overall revenue in the United States.
Additionally, it’s worth noting that Luminate recently released their 2022 Year-End Report, which revealed a 22.6% rise in global on-demand audio streams. While this is slightly less significant than the 26.3% increase seen in the previous year, it’s still a noteworthy trend. Furthermore, in late November of 2022, American music consumers achieved a major milestone: on-demand audio streams hit 1 trillion for the first time ever. By the end of the year, the total number of streams had climbed to an impressive 1.1 trillion, highlighting the continued growth and popularity of streaming services.
According to the latest report, Bad Bunny’s “Un Verano Sin Ti” has been crowned as the most consumed album in America this year. It is noteworthy that the album is recorded in a language other than English, making it the first non-English album to receive this honor. The album was released digitally in May 2022 and debuted with 273,000 equivalent units. Of this total, 95.8% came from streams, while the remaining 4.2% came from digital album sales.